Why stop at spring cleaning this year? Why not breathe new life into your home with these inexpensive changes that have big impact? Here are ten ways you can a renovate a room or your entire home without spending a lot. Some of these are free and some can cost less than $100!!
Rearrange the Furniture in Your Room
- Shake things up by rearranging your furniture, and I’m not just talking about one room. Shop around your house! That old dresser in the attic would make a beautiful buffet in your kitchen. Get creative! One of my hardest lessons to learn is that furniture does not have to be pushed up against the wall. Turning a couch diagonally might make a nice seating area and it opens up the back of the couch for a console table which will give you extra storage too!
Fresh Coat of Paint
- This is perhaps the most obvious way to upgrade a room, but it still deserves a spot on the list. You don’t have to be bold and daring to make an impact. Accent walls can still look amazing even in neutral colors. If your budget cannot afford an entire room, try painting the backing on your bookshelves or one accent piece in your room to bring that pop of color that makes the whole room look new.
- Lighting has the power to change the whole feel of a room or home. Use natural light to your advantage by arranging your room with clear views of the window. Any southern-facing window is your best bet because it illuminates up to 100 times its area. You can always switch from curtains to sheers to take advantage of natural light.
- Make the most of your lighting by layering it with overhead lights like your fan or ceiling light, accent lights like recessed or spotlight lighting or even a tower lamp to brighten a dark corner, and task lights such as a lamps on end tables.
- Mirrors are also a great way to bring light into a room. Use mirrors as a cost-effective way to catch the light and reflect it.
Add Accent Pieces
- The smallest details of the room are what give it character. Throw pillows can add charm and style to a living room or bedroom. Pier 1 Imports has a large selection, and the cases are removable for laundering or replacing.
- Do a simple update in your kitchen with new hardware for cabinets and drawers, or have a little fun and paint the inside of your cabinet trim with chalkboard paint.
- A new shower curtain can change the entire look of your bathroom. Kohl’s always has great deals on coordinating rugs and towels to complete the look.
Decorate Your Walls
- Artwork need not be expensive. Illustrations from a children’s book make beautiful framed pieces.
- Posters at craft stores like Michaels and Hobby Lobby can be framed as well. Vinyl wall decals are really popular right now.
- Watch deal sites like Groupon to find these at a nice price.
- Canvas photos from York Photo and Shutterfly add a unique touch to any room, and you can catch deals on those all the time right here at Coupon Divas!
- This is another easy one, and it can be inexpensive. Snag bedding sets from stores like Macy’s, Carson’s, and Anna’s Linens for as low as $40 during some of their best sales. These sets come complete with pillows and a bed-skirt which go far to give your room that finished look.
- JCPenney is a great source for inexpensive curtains which can do just about as much as painting to liven up a room. Sheers keep the natural lighting in a room while panels can soften a room and make it more energy-efficient to boot. You can always do a mix of both, too! If your budget doesn’t allow for curtains, opt for fabric from Joann’s Crafts to create an inexpensive and easy window scarf.