What states have Tax Free Shopping in 2012? It looks like there are 17 states will hold a Tax Free Shopping promotion. During this promotions, consumers will not pay sales tax on certain items for back to school which usual include some of the following: clothing, footwear, school supplies, computers and sports equipment. You will need to check your state for the specifics, each state has their own set of guidelines.
In my area, the sales tax is 6% so I would be saving $36 by shopping during my Tax Free Days. This may not seem like a lot, but when every penny counts, the savings can really add up. You can use that $36 for something else your family really needs!
Here are some tips to help you get organized:
- Avoid Overspending:
This is probably the MOST important tip so I am starting with this! Research items you are thinking about getting so you know if they are a good deal. Don’t get caught up in the moment.
- Make a List:
Write down exactly what you need to get, reference school supply lists and don’t forget to clothing sizes and dress code requirements.
- Set a Budget:
It is very important to decide how much you will be spending. Even though reports say the average family will spend $606 – you don’t have to spend that much! Make it fun and try to see how little you can spend and still get what you need.
- Look at Your Sale Ads:
This is the SECOND BIGGEST consumer spending event for retailers. Many stores will offer “special promotions” or incentives for the Tax Free Holiday so be sure to check your ads.
- Know Your State’s Rules:
Reference your state’s tax website because there are limits in what is “allowed”. Check for max dollar amounts and items included in this promotion as they vary by state.
Here’s a List of the States Participating in Tax Free Weekend 2012. Just click on the state to go to your states specifics on spending limits for this promotion and get contact info. if you have further questions:
- Alabama (August 3-5) – certain school supplies, computers, and clothing – Check list of participating cities and counties
- Arkansas (August 4-5) clothing and school supplies
- Connecticut (August 19-25) – Clothing and Footwear
- Florida (August 3-5) – Clothing and Books, School Supplies
- Georgia (August 10-11) School Supplies, Clothing, Computer
- Iowa (August 3-4) – Clothing
- Louisianna (August 3-4) – All TPP
- Maryland (August 12-18) – Clothing and Footwear
- Mississippi (July 27-28) – Clothing and Footwear
- Missouri (August 3-5) – Clothing, Computer, School Supplies
- New Mexico (August 3-5) – Clothing, Computers, School Supplies
- North Carolina (August 3-5) – Clothing, School Supplies, Instructional Material, Computers, Other Computer, Sports Equipment
- Oklahoma (August 3-5) – Clothing
- South Carolina (August 3-5) – Clothing, School Supplies, Computers, Other
- Tennessee (August 3-5) – Clothing, School Supplies, Computers
- Texas (August 17-19) – Clothing, Backpacks and School Supplies
- Virginia (August 3-5) – Clothing, School Supplies